Tuesday, 12 May 2015
Down the Road for Italian
We went down to Toronto last week to do sales calls. I think because I wasn’t complaining about how bad the traffic was that Roger rewarded me with Italian food at lunch. There is always 1 thing that makes me happy - Italian food.
I don’t know how he does it, but Roger seems able to find every “hole in the wall” Italian eatery in the greater Toronto area. This one, like most, is located in a strip mall. When you walk in there are a few tables and a scattering of chairs that all looked like they came out of your Grandmother’s kitchen. But almost every seat is taken – most by construction guys as they seem to know the good places to eat.
This is cafeteria style ordering so no table service. The menu is listed on a couple of white boards attached to the back wall. There is a row of food warmers displaying today’s various daily offerings - none of which seem to match what is written on the white boards. There are 3 – 4 middle aged Italian women busily ladling servings onto Customer’s plate. They are bantering back and forth with their Customers; theses must be the “regulars”. For me, I can feel their frustration with some old guy holding up the production line while he is trys to make a decision. What should I pick?
I make my selection (meat balls and ravioli with extra sauce) and carry my plate to the Lady behind the cash register. She waves me away.... “No, no – pay when you leave”.
Roger and I grab the last table and scrounge some chairs. The room is loud and happy. The food is simply and wonderful.
Too soon the plate is empty. Roger goes back to the Lady behind the cash register. “What did you have....,” she asks and Roger rattles off what we ate. If you really have to, they’ll take your credit card; but cash is preferred.
I have been in the business of business for more years than I can remember. My habit is to look at what businesses do well and what they do poorly. I marvel because this is just such a simple concept.
Good food, nothing fancy, prepared by people who enjoy what they do and served to people they see as friends. No expense for table service; the Customer picks up their food and returns the dirty dished to the kitchen. And reward your Customer with your trust; let them tell you what they owe. The result is that they are busy.
Seems so simple. What I don’t understand is why everyone doesn’t do it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment